Monday, July 14, 2008

XTERRA Tahoe City


A week after XTERRA Wales and two weeks after XTERRA East Championships I headed home and raced in XTERRA Tahoe City. I felt like I had to get back to this race because it is the only local point series race and I won it last year. It was questionable whether the race was going to be held because of the poor air quality. Western States 100 on the same weekend was already canceled.
Morning of the race the sky was relatively blue a large enthusiastic crowd was waiting for the start of the race at Commons Beach. Good to see a lot of familiar faces at the race. At the same time I was a little jet lag still and could not comprehend racing again. The swim was shocking, maybe being back at 6000 feet again. The water was shallow so we had to walk a ways out to start the race. On the way back in we had about 400 meters of below-knee water where racers either walked or swam, I dolphin dived the whole way in.
The race went well and I found out on the bike I was leading the women's race so I cruised, wildflower were great eye candy. The run was hard, first three miles were uphill and then back down. Again by F-lite 230 were awesome and carried me all the way to a first place finish. I was about five minutes faster than last year with an overall time of 3:30.
Everyone seemed to have a good race. Julie Young, a former pro-cyclist had a huge smile on her face when she came across the finish in second place in her first triathlon. To read a story I wrote for the Sierra Sun click below:

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20080709/SPORTS/3775771/1032&parentprofile=1058

No comments: